Hallatrow was on the Bristol and North Somerset Railway (B&NS) line from Bristol to Frome. Authorised by an Act of 1863, and opened in 1873, the line was promoted to provide a better outlet to Bristol for the collieries of the Somerset Coalfield. The Great Western entered into an agreement with the B&NS to work the line from ifs opening.
In 1882 the B&NS opened their branch into the Cam Valley from Hallatrow to Camerton. The B&NS became part of the Great Western's empire when It was taken over in the late 1880s.
The Camerton branch was extended by the Great Western to Limpley Stoke, opened in 1910, on the Great Western's Bradford-upon-Avon branch. At this time Hallatrow also under went a major re-build with the provision of a second platform and additional sidings. The station was re-signalled at the same time to become a passing point.
The idea for the layout's design came from a picture of Hallatrow station yard taken from the footbridge looking in the direction of Bristol in the Wild Swan book on "The Camerton Branch". The track plan was developed using the TEMPLOT computer design program with a copy of the 1910 track plan as a guide.
The plan is build the station as it would have looked in the mid-1920s, around the time of the Grouping. Train operations are to be based upon the 1923 working timetable when the Great Western reinstated, for a short time, the passenger service on the Camerton after it was withdrawn in 1915 as a WW1 wartime economy measure.