Heljan E2001 Conversion

Proton

Heljan E2001 Conversion

Postby Proton » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:11 pm

I have generally found Heljan diesels and electrics the easiest of the main manufacturers to convert to P4, in part due to their implementation of the A1A arrangement for three-axle bogies instead of the Co arrangement.
E2001 is correctly implemented with the A1A bogies, and has ten-spoke 14.67 mm wheels, correct as far as I have read. Also, the axles run in hornblocks, rather similar the Athearn arrangement, so I thought this should be a doddle!

Unfortunately, the wheels are on 3 mm diameter stub axles running in a plastic gear muff (plain for the centre axles), so conversion might be a bit trickier than I had first thought.

I'm thinking of dispensing with the split frame arrangement altogether and going with PCB-strip-mounted pickups.

I can't see Ultrascale or Allan Gibson doing a conversion set for a unique loco such as this!

John

Mark Forrest

Re: Heljan E2001 Conversion

Postby Mark Forrest » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:42 pm

EMGS stores have a 3mm diameter shouldered axle, with 2mm ends. Obviously, they are intended to give a 16.5mm back to back, but some washers could make up the difference (or it might not matter at all if cutting them in half to make stub axles).

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”