Ouse Wharf

Sub-forum for the layouts....
BarryL

Ouse Wharf

Postby BarryL » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:36 am

With Pulborough now retired, and Plumpton Green complete, it seems a good idea to start a new layout, and the Jubilee Challenge provides an ideal opportunity. The layout was inspired by a location south of Lewes where there was a chalk quarry and small quay. North of Lewes was the Ouse Navigation (a canalised river). The canal closed in 1868, but my rather fanciful back-story has the canal bought by the LBSCR, and the quay developed to serve areas not reachable by rail. (A very unlikely story I know, so please don't tell me I'm wrong!!).
The layout will make good use of our four industrial engines, and will feature a couple of canal barges, plus the last River Arun sailing barge, which has made its way along the coast from Pulborough.
Progress can be seen at https://www.lbscrmodels.co.uk/ow1.html

Here are two photos taken recently:
IMG_2686zx.jpg
IMG_2694z.jpg

Barry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bevis

Re: Ouse Wharf

Postby bevis » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:09 pm

Looking good Barry.
Hope to see the finished item in the not too distant future.
Bevis

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:21 pm

Looks like a larger version of something I was planning!

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:35 pm

BarryL wrote:The canal closed in 1868, but my rather fanciful back-story has the canal bought by the LBSCR, and the quay developed to serve areas not reachable by rail. (A very unlikely story I know, so please don't tell me I'm wrong!!).

Not that unlikely for that period; given that road transport was horse drawn, and local roads probably chalk surfaced, water transport was much more reliable. It was also not unknown for other railways to buy a canal and use it to compete with the local one; elsewhere both the GW and Midland.railways did that. The difficulty is with the industrial locos; if the LBSCR owns the canal and the wharf and the line to it, why is it not just shunted by the local goods like any other siding?
Regards
Noel

BarryL

Postby BarryL » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:00 am

Answer 1 - because the LBSCR bought the wharf, canal, barges and engines.......
Answer 2 - I have four industrial engines, and little opportunity to display them!!

Return to “Challenge Layouts”